Thursday, August 9, 2012

Green Island lighthouse

I usually doze off in the ferry but I try and make sure I'm awake to take in the view of my favourite lighthouse. There's precious little information on it but I did find this link on lighthouses in Hong Kong.

For those who are too lazy to click on, this is what it says:


Green Island (Tsing Chau) 
1905 (station established 1875). Active; focal plane 37 m (121 ft); white flash every 10 s. 17.5 m (58 ft) round granite tower with lantern and gallery, painted white. 1st order Fresnel lens in use. The keeper's house and other light station buildings are leased to to the Wu Oi Christian Centre as a youth drug rehabiliation center. 

Google has a satellite view. The lighthouse was built to carry the 1st order lens made available when the Cape D'Aguilar lighthouse was replaced by the Waglan Island lighthouse. The station was recognized as a Hong Kong Declared Monument in 2008. Located at the southwest point of Green Island, a small island off the west end of Hong Kong Island. Accessible only by boat; there are views from various ferries in Hong Kong Harbour. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS HOK-002; HK-069; Admiralty F3538; NGA 19460.

Hmm... I wonder if I should have taken drugs as a youth because the rehab centers appear to be in places with wonderful views. Joke, joke!



No comments:

Post a Comment