Friday, January 14, 2011

Brrr... it's freezing




My colleague laughed when he saw me putting on cardigan, jacket, scarf then hat as I left work. "Is it that cold in Mui Wo?" he asked.

"You have no idea," I replied.

I never thought Hong Kong winters were especially chilly... then I moved to Mui Wo. After all, as the weather report keeps reminding me: "Temperatures over the New Territories will be a couple of degrees lower than those over the urban areas."

The area between McDonald's and the pier is especially cold. Even as I type this, my back spasms at the thought of braving it in the morning.

There's something about the wind there that cuts right through anything I'm wearing and leaves me shivering. Thank goodness for the breakfast stalls at the pier, which are always good for a warming waft of steam.

The poor cat has taken to burrowing under her fleece blanket so that her bum is warmed by the electric blanket. Buffalo Wilbur has been wearing three layers... indoors.

Thank goodness we live close to the pier and in a built-up area, which shelters the flat somewhat from the chilly winds. I really sympathise with those who have another 20 minutes walk in the biting cold to their uninsulated village houses.



No comments:

Post a Comment