Saturday, December 4, 2010

Town mouse, country mouse


In her Little House books, Laura Ingalls Wilder writes about how going to town is an adventure and how the town people stare at the plainly dressed farm girls. I feel a bit country mouse-like when I schlep over to Tung Chung on my day off in my track bottoms and T-shirts.

Mui Wo isn't exactly hicksville but it does have a wonderful small-town feel, where people walk into restaurants in their cycling gear or hiking boots. I often wander about the place in shorts and T-shirts and Buffalo Wilbur swears he's seen people in their pyjamas in the supermarket.

But once in a while, it's nice to go back to "civilisation" again. Thank goodness my favourite shopping place, Citygate Mall in Tung Chung, is only a bus ride away. I like the fact that it's an outlet mall so I don't have to wait for a sale to get cheap stuff.

And we have out little routine now. It's lunch at Golden Siam Thai Restaurant (Tel: 2109-4418), where they serve authentic-tasting Thai goodies.

Then Buffalo Wilbur sets up base camp in Pacific Coffee while I shop. Before leaving, we make a quick visit to Taste to get stuff that we can't get in Mui Wo (yes, despite having two supermarkets, I can never get good beef broth).

No comments:

Post a Comment