Saturday, June 25, 2011

Getting the message across

Have you noticed the colourful congratulatory signboards around Mui Wo recently.

These traditional flower plaques (fa pai) are hard to miss them as they tower over everything, shutting off the view of the seafood restaurant at the roundabout.

I like how much effort has been put into them – the shiny paper rosettes are my favourite.

A friend of mine who did some research into these congratulatory plaques say elaborate ones such as these can take up to two weeks to create.

Pity I can only read about one character in five. But at least I know the top bit says Mui Wo (pats self on back).

I asked my friend to translate and basically, it celebrates the Mui Wo rural committee inauguration - spot Rainbow's name right smack in the middle?

No comments:

Post a Comment