Saturday, April 30, 2011

Bell the bikers


Back from our Easter eatfest, Buffalo Wilbur and I decided to go for a walk to burn off the fat. It was supposed to be a leisurely hike; I never thought we'd be taking our lives into our hands.

We were almost mowed down by a couple of cyclists careening down the hills in breakneck speed without any warning. Thankfully, Buffalo Wilbur managed to whisk me out of the way in time or I don't think you'll be seeing any posts from me anytime soon.

By the way, the photo above is not of those cyclists. I was too busy checking for broken bones to get a picture of the real culprits.

I am all for sharing the trails with mountain bikers. But what I don't understand is, why do they never have bells on their bikes? The village folks have them and use them indiscriminately (word to the wise – pedestrians and not bikes should have right of way on those narrow paths).

Maybe having bells are not cool on off-road bikes but neither is sending innocent hikers flying off the edge of the cliff. So for courtesy sake, can we have more warning please?

Or, if it's too much of a bother ringing a bell while trying to navigate an out-of-control bike, maybe we could just have a bell that warns of a bike approach, like those on cows and cats.

No comments:

Post a Comment